Search This Blog

Friday, February 23, 2007

Count Your Blessings

In my first blog, I mentioned being thankful, more so, for the big things that come our way but even for the smallest, insignificant things, things or people we often take for granted ~ sometimes we get too comfortable with our family and friends that we forget to say thank you for the favors they do for us. During the next few days, I will list things I'm thankful for. I encourage you to the same when you have a spare moment. By enumerating what you have, and sincerely feeling grateful, you will not only focus on what is positive, but you will also realize the abundance in your life. When you make your own list, don't forget to jot down all the things you take for granted such as your eyesight, hearing, speech, the use of your hands and feet, or the apples and sandwiches you bring for lunch. How many people do you think actually give thanks for these things everyday before they go to sleep? I bet not very many. Compare yourself to the less fortunate. If you've seen poverty (whether on t.v., a drive around town, or a trip to a third world country), you'll realize how lucky you are compared to a lot of people. The more you list, the more fulfilled you'll feel. Don't worry about putting them in order of importance. Just get your "thank-you list" flowing. Here's my own list:

God, Eyesight, Speech, Hearing Use of hands and feet, Teeth (couldn't chew food without 'em) Overall good health (mine and family) My two boys, Mom, Brothers, Family (relatives, close and distant) My best friend, Job, House, Car, Food, Income, work/life balance, Experiences (good and bad) Life lessons (learned through experience) Parking spot in our building (I don't have to park on the street on rainy days, plus it costs a lot less!) chicken nuggets (2 minutes in the microwave and you have happy picky eaters), ATMs, Credit cards, Our gardener (I don't have to pull out weeds) Internet access (how can I forget?) Cable, Phones (home or cell), Doctors, Nurses, Scientists (especially ones who believe there is a God ~ although I also bless non-believers), Rich people (for inspiring others) Teachers, Priests, Life Coaches, all the gadgets and tools that make our lives easier, and my list goes on and on.

Have you counted your blessings lately? What are you thankful for?

No comments: