Search This Blog

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Patience...

In a world of instant gratification, we want everything right now. You find a dress or a pair of shoes and you couldn't wait for them to go on sale so you buy them at that very moment. You're hungry or thirsty and you're only a few minutes away from home but you drive through a fast food joint anyway to satisfy your cravings. You send a text or leave a voicemail and you expect a reply right now.  You call to make an appointment with your hair dresser and she's booked 2 months out! What?! But you need a haircut right now, today, not tomorrow or the following day. So what do you do? You call around to find someone who can work around your schedule, which is right now because you're already in the parking lot just waiting for confirmation that they're free. Sound familiar?

We're all guilty of being impatient. It takes humility to realize that the world does not revolve around us. People will not always be free when we are. We just need to accept the fact that our "emergencies" are ours alone and we need to wait in line just like everybody else.

They say that patience is not the ability to wait but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting; it is being able to endure suffering or discomfort without complaining.

Patience is such a simple word but it's not easily practiced most times. I'm one of those people who will get things done myself if I know it'll take others too long or not get it done to my satisfaction. I switch registers if I see the clerk is taking too long.  I roll my eyes and breathe a heavy sigh if I'm kept waiting. Patience...patience, my Friendster would often remind me. He gets a double dose of my eye-rolling, heavy sigh response because his patience is disgustingly extraordinary; for which I'm thankful because he is patient even with me. I am a work in progress and I know God is not done with me yet.

Let's all strive to be patient with one another (or endure the discomfort of waiting to purchase something).  It not only builds character (maybe even save some money) but it also pleases God.

--with faith and gratitude
Elle

No comments: